To kick off National Curry Week I created this delicious coconut curried rice recipe. This is one of my favourite lunchtime dishes, I normally cook a batch of it to enjoy during the week as it keeps for up to 5 days and is full of flavour to give you a good afternoon kick.
£0.30 Ready in 40 minutes Serves 5
All you need is
- 300g of rice (60g per person)
- 3 large carrots
- 1 large onion
- 100g frozen vegetables
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Good amount of salt and pepper
To make it just
- Place the rice and frozen vegetables in a saucepan.
- Peel the carrots and cut into thin slices and add to the saucepan.
- Cover the saucepan with water and bring to the boil, once boiling remove from the heat and leave to cook.
- Chop the onion into large chunks and place in a frying pan with a little bit of oil.
- In a pestle and mortar combine all of the seasonings and add half to the onions. If you don’t have a pestle and mortar, add half of the spices to the onion and combine well in the pan.
- Once the onion has started to cook down and the rice has cooked, then add the onions to the saucepan and the remaining spices.
- Mix well and either eat hot now or store in tupperware to have later in the week!
Where to buy
|Desiccated coconut||£0.79||£0.80||£1.50 (200g)|
|Mild curry powder||£1.00||£1.00||£1.00|