Carbonara traditionally is made with egg yolk and cheese, however, I’ve always grown up with it being made in a cheese sauce so that’s exactly what I did (sorry to those who are loyal to traditions)
£0.52 Ready in 30 minutes Serves 2
Tip: I used leftover roast ham to make this, you can use bacon or a gammon steak instead.
All you need is
- 1 red onion
- 1 tbsp. butter/margarine
- 60g ham/gammon/bacon (3 rashers)
- 120g whole wheat spaghetti
- 4 tbsp. low fat natural yogurt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp mustard
- 10g cheese of your choice grated
To make it just:
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and add the spaghetti then leave to cook for 10 minutes checking every so often.
- Finely dice a red onion, place the butter in a frying pan and then add the onion.
- Finely slice the ham (if using raw then cook first under the grill for 30 minutes) and add to the red onion.
- Once the onion has cooked through add the yogurt, egg yolk and mustard to the pan and mix well.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and add to the frying pan, ensure the pasta is fully covered with the sauce.
- Top with a sprinkle of cheese and tuck in.
Where to buy
|Whole wheat spaghetti||£0.55||£1.00||£0.85|
|Low fat natural yogurt||£0.45||£0.45||£0.50|