If you want to start cooking you probably think you need to go out and purchase 5 different sized pots and a dozen wooden spoons. In reality, you don’t actually need that many items to create meals, plus most students don’t have enough room for a tonne of pots. In reality, you don’t need that many things in order to create amazing meals.
Every recipe on my blog I make from the comfort of my student house (except from a few from my days in halls). So all the utensils I use are from my student kitchen which was created on a student budget.
What is needed exactly for a student kitchen? Well, it can be split in categories; pots and pans, dishes, cooking utensils and other bits
Pots and pans
- Large saucepan
- This can be used to cook pasta and make sauces. If you get one with a lid you can also use it to do slow cook meals.
- Small saucepan
- I use my small saucepan to cook eggs, heat up beans and make cheese sauces. Due to it’s size its handy to make small additons to dinners.
- Large frying pan
- Perfect for making a fry up as you can fit a lot in a pan, it’s a cupboard staple. If you have a deep one then you can also use it to cook mince.
- Small frying pan
- Much like the small saucepan this is ideal to fry individual eggs or a small portion of mushrooms for brunch.
- I have two woks, one large one small but in reality you don’t need two. One decent sized one is fine, if you’ll be cooking for two then get a large, if it’s just for yourself find a small one.
- When you’re boiling pasta or vegetables you need a colander in order to drain the water from them.
- Casserole dish
- Although it’s called a casserole dish this can be used to make a array of dishes including various pies, lasange and pasta bakes.
- Large plate
- Self-explanatory really.
- Small plate
- Again. Self-explanatory.
- I use the term bowls (multiple) because ideally you need a small bowl for things like cereal and soup and a larger bowl for pasta.
- Mixing bowl
- Making certain dishes you’ll need to mix bits and bobs together and a large bowl is great for this, try to get a microwavable one.
- Measuring jug
- If you’re planning on baking you will need a measuring jug for you’re exact measurements but it is also useful to have for making things like gravy.
- Wooden spoon
- Vegetable knife
- Chef’s knife
- Can opener
- Measuring spoons
- Potato masher