£1.03 40 mins Serves 6
Part of the joy of living in a Uni house with a group of your closet friends means you can have family dinners, which involve everyone pitching in to cook a group meal. This weeks group meal was cooked by myself and two other housemates, the end result was a stunning pie.
All you need is
- 1 pack ready rolled puff pastry
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 pork sausages
- 1 cube of chicken stock
- 1/2 tub garlic and herb soft cheese
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 325g frozen vegetables
- 15g cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
To make it just
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6. Then chop the sausages and chicken into cubes and then fry off with a little oil.
- Whilst they are cooking place your frozen vegetables in a saucepan with boiling water and leave to cook.
- In a separate saucepan dissolve the stock cube in boiling water and continually stir, then mix in the garlic and herb soft cheese – about half a tub – then stir in some grated cheese to enhance the flavour. if you feel the sauce is too thin then add some flour in small amounts ensuring it’s fully dissolved in the sauce before adding more.
- Next roll out the pastry and measure against you’r pie dish, ensuring the pastry is wide enough to fully cover the top, if its not gently roll it out so it’s longer, if you don’t have a rolling pin – which most students don’t – you can use a pint glass – then using either a pastry brush or your fingers, lightly brush the top of the pie with egg to make it golden.
- Then drain the vegetables and place them into the bottom of the dish, top with the meat and then cover with the sauce ensuring it’s thick. Top the pie with pastry crimping the edges to hold it all in and then cook in the oven until the top is a nice golden brown – it should take around 25 minutes.
Where to buy
|Ready rolled puff pastry||£1.70||£1.50||£1.45|